Being safe and courteous will help make Open Streets a great experience for everyone.
For all Participants
- If you stop please move to side of road out of traffic flow of other bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Park bicycles off roadway.
- Be alert – be aware and respect the people around you.
- Be courteous – ride with the flow and be patient with people moving at slower speeds. Slower traffic has the right of way.
- Be aware that some cars may be on the road, and yield to cars that are permitted to drive on the route.
- Be respectful of private property.
- Properly throw trash away in garbage and recycling containers along the route.
- Refrain from using headphones or cell phones in the street in order hear communication from other participants.
- Be safe and have fun!
Cyclists, Skaters & Boarders
- Pedestrians always have the right of way – bikers, skaters and boarders must yield to pedestrians.
- Be courteous of children and older adults – whether they are on bike or foot – ride slowly and carefully when they are present.
- Pass safely: look and signal before changing lanes, use a bell, or say “on your left.”
- Obey posted traffic signs and regulations.
- Be mindful to ride in a straight line and not make sudden turns.
- Always ride in the direction of traffic. Keep on the right, pass on the left.
- Wear a helmet. It’s the law for bicyclists under the age of 18 in California.
Walkers & Joggers
- Be aware of cyclists and other participants on wheels.
- Look first before turning to avoid collisions.
- Keep dogs on a short leash at all times
- Please clean up after your pet
Adapted from “Sharing the Streets Etiquette”, San Mateo Streets Alive, www.streetsalivesmc.org